Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly

Treading water in a pool for  an hour while I play audience to a six year old totally smitten with swimming and completely outfitted with flippers and goggles is exhausting

So upon returning home I wanted only a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Two of them in fact.

I use grape jelly or jam and creamy peanut butter. Sometimes I'll put a little real butter under the peanut butter. It's a lovely ooey gooey mess. I make sure it's not too full between the slices. White bread is best because it compresses when squeezed. I eat the sandwich in a circle starting with the crusts and continuing inward. I take teeny tiny mice bites. I wash it down with milk or water or some other neutral flavoured drink.

It is utterly satisfying.
There are lots of opportunities for sophisticated  moments in life, at least in the first and second Worlds.  But there are also those moments that demand simplicity, ritual and comfort.

Such was tonight. I brought a little balance to the adventure in my life right now.    Now, I'm going to bed.

Love,
Deborah

No comments: