Wednesday, October 29, 2014

A regular life with better menu choices

Knowing what I'm doing is unique to middle class and upper middle class society, it is not unique to immigrants and entrepreneurs starting at ground level. You do what you have to do to get your product out there, to get the business started.

Now, my product is words. The part that has made the journey unique is going from essentially being a nun, which meant some weird kind of unspoken vow of poverty, to a businesswoman.

Fortunately, there is a class that started at one of the two churches I align myself with in a regular way. It is a study of the book, "Money and the Meaning of Life". It explores the spirituality of money.

As I mentioned before, the hardest part of my journey has been to figure out the place of money in my life. I know how to manage money, I didn't know about the grass roots character of it in confluence with how I , particularly, was raised and my family heritage and my calling and my dreams.

To me, you just got your education, got a job and managed your money well. But I came from an incredibly white upper middle class dysfunctional heritage and that is not a straightforward route if you want to be healthy and whole at your core. Layer in any kind of spiritual aspect and look in the dictionary under "confusion" and there is the path.

So, I had to revert to the life stories of my grandfathers and there was where the key lay. My foundation was/is my own spiritual walk but beyond that, and built on top of that, was this question of how do I reconstruct my life when plan A gets blocked by people who are less interested in whole and healthy than I am.

It is almost a month since I started The Grand Adventure. I am, everyday finding that this most radical way of life has, in fact, given me more stability and forward motion and strength and promise than any of the many domestic situations in which I have lived in the last twenty years.

My car has become Murphy bed and closet. That's all. It still functions as a car. Yesterday I got the big tubs given to me as part of the move a year and a half ago out of , what I came to call, 'the crazy house', and simply have the three laundry baskets that act as dresser drawers/closet. Today is sunny and so later this afternoon, I will organize the back even more into functional areas.

The only 'problem' has been trash. I don't have trash delivery and need to off load trash more than often than once a month in a dump run. Costly and impractical.

And I am still trying to find a home for the cats.

But my choices during the day consist of those at my desk and office area. Will I work on Website Stuff? Parenting Stuff? Theology Stuff? Memoir Stuff? Good menu items. Forward moving menu choices. Finally. Daily. In a way that builds. What I have longed for since a decade ago when I first felt called to this work. Cleansing breath. Deep sigh of relief. Carry on.

No comments: